[Talk-GB] Naptan Imports

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 08:08:54 GMT 2011

On 24 November 2011 00:17, Peter J Stoner <stonerpj at mytraveline.info> wrote:

> I am surprised if you say that in OSM a Custom and Practice (CUS) stop
> would not be coded as highway=bus_stop, as in public transport terms
> it is recognised as the location of a bus stop, even though there is
> not a flag on that side of the road.

It's mainly because if conflicts with our on-the-ground rule - given
there's no physical evidence of a bus stop at that location, it can be
quite difficult to resolve any disputes over its location. Hence the
caution about marking it, because we have little opportunity to
correct it.

Also, in my opinion, unmarked bus stops are a daft concept to begin
with, seemingly dreamed up to make life harder than it needs to be!
Imagine if Network Rail started creating unmarked "Custom and
Practice" railway stations - where you were expected to guess the
location, stand beside the line and hope the trains stopped when you
put your hand out!

Cheers,
Andy