[Talk-GB] Naptan Imports

Barnett, Phillip PHILLIP.BARNETT at ITN.CO.UK
Thu Nov 24 12:39:44 GMT 2011

It's so they can close an unprofitable  bus route due to 'lack of usage by customers'
:-)

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4474
E PHILLIP.BARNETT at ITN.CO.UK
WWW.ITN.CO.UK
Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hill [mailto:osm at raggedred.net]
Sent: 24 November 2011 11:03
To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Naptan Imports

Hail & ride can be a great idea both on a housing estate and in some
rural areas. A CUS stop is not really like this. A CUS stop is a single
place that a bus will stop, sometimes in an isolated place, sometimes
near another stop, but without a sign to say so. I have surveyed a
couple of thousand bus stops both in a city and in rural areas and the
point of having a bus stop without a sign continues to escape me.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly

On 24/11/11 10:27, Kev js1982 wrote:

> Preston bus (used?) to operate on a hail and ride basis - i.e. it
> would stop anywhere on the estates to pick people up and set them down
> - in reality this became a few set places (i.e. where the footpath was
> paved up to the road edge rather than having a grass verge) but still
> rather handy actually!
>
> the set down places still seam to be used but the pick up places are
> all bus stop a now (however there are more than there used to be -
> most installed where people used to "hail and ride"). Seams to be a
> sensible idea for a new build estate - put the paths and bus stops
> where the people want then!
>
> Also a couple of buses a day were extended past the terminus so there
> was a customary stop opposite the terminus (now signed on the route I
> know best as its no longer a terminus for most services!).
>
> On Nov 24, 2011 9:22 AM, "Chris Hill" <osm at raggedred.net
> <mailto:osm at raggedred.net>> wrote:
>

>     Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com
>     <mailto:gravitystorm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >Also, in my opinion, unmarked bus stops are a daft concept to begin
>     >with, seemingly dreamed up to make life harder than it needs to be!
>
>     +1  Why would you have a stop without a sign as a deliberate
>     strategy? It completely defies the idea of bus stops being marked
>     as a place to wait knowing a bus will stop there.
>
>     --
>     Cheers, Chris (osm:chillly)

Please Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Independent Television News Limited unless specifically stated. This email and any files attached are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster at itn.co.uk

Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our clients and business, we may monitor and read messages sent to and from our systems.

Thank You.