[Talk-GB] Drinking Map of UK

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 20:54:18 GMT 2011

> It is only splitting hairs if your beer horizon extends no further
> than the channel.
>
> Where I was coming from is that I think that 'real-stuff=yes' is useful as
it distinguishes the supplier of 'craft' products from 'industrial' ones.
The problem is that there are lots of different types of stuff - ale, beer,
cider, perry - I am sure there are lots more.

Having a separate key for each one seems a bit over the top, because at one
level a user may just want to know if a place just sells Carlsberg and John
Smiths, or something more interesting.
Those with more advanced pallets than I may well then be interested if it
the interesting thing is ale, beer, fancy Belgian lager things, German
wheat beer, hand crushed apple cider etc. etc.

Therefore I would prefer to see a more generic type of 'real-stuff' key
used which can be 'yes' or 'ale|beer|.....', depending on how keen the
mapper is feeling.

We could then show every outlet with 'real-stuff'!=null on the map and link
to its web site.   We could also have different icons for different values
of 'real-stuff'.   An equivalent of tagQueries could identify where
philistines have said real-stuff=yes, so a connoisseur can add the extra
detail if required.

I thought that 'real ale' had become quite a generic term so could have
been used as a synonym for 'real-stuff', but it would be interesting to
know what the Germans and Belgians would call their posh beers to see if
real-ale is too English - or is that where the proposal for 'real-beer'
came from?

Graham.

--
Graham Jones