[Talk-GB] UK cities

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Mon Oct 17 11:59:41 BST 2011

I don't think the tagging of place=city has ever reflected official city status.
You could change it, but that would be a departure from existing practice.
I doubt most people would expect to see 'London' and 'Westminster' as
equally-sized cities within a few miles of each other.  The existing place node
for London is at Charing Cross, I believe: not even within the City of London.

I would suggest leaving place=city as the common everyday meaning of city, even
though that is not strictly defined, and to introduce a new tag for the legal
designation if that is felt to be useful.

Alternatively, the renderings (and possibly other software such as Nominatim)
could be changed to not depend on place=city, and then it would be possible to
clean it up without disruption.  Yes, this is tagging-for-the-rendererism, but
having the capital city sometimes appear as 'Westminster' instead of 'London'
(depending on random rules about overlapping text labels) would be so offputting
I think it is worth paying some attention to what is currently rendered.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>