[Talk-GB] New datasets being released by the DfT

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 12:30:16 BST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:
>> I've been working on some features in Potlatch 2 so that we can
>> inspect, consider and merge the cycling data attributes into OSM
> on
>> street-by-street basis.
>
> I've just been looking at the cycle data. While the dataset is
> licenced as OGL (or as the metadata says "Crown Copyright with
> data.gov.uk rights", if that is the same) I notice each record has
> an allowedUse element which in the bits I've looked at are
> "Commercial Licence" or "Not For Profit" - are those latter records
> still OK for OSM use, or do the Potlatch 2 changes you've worked on
> filter them out?

The Potlatch2 stuff doesn't deal with the GML at all. What we're being
given, separately from this GML, is a converted version of the
dataset, and from the correspondence that I have it's going to be
released under the OGL. For the dataset that I'm dealing with, there's
no question whether there will be some bits not suitable for inclusion
in OSM - that would somewhat defeat the point!

As for the potlatch 2 code, it's worth clarifying that both the
merging code (in potlatch2) and the serverside code for accessing it
per-bbox [1] only deals with OSM format data, not GML. The work for
converting it from GML into .osm is contracted to the people who
actually understand the GML representation! It was done this way to
ensure that everything I've put into potlatch 2 is entirely generic
and reusable for any other datasets we wish to merge in the future.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Snapshot_Server