[Talk-GB] [Semi-OT] affordable hosting for own tileserver?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Oct 30 10:15:32 GMT 2011

Thought it would be a good time to ask about this as the whole topic of running your own OSM tileserver has come up a lot lately.

Am wanting to develop Freemap (coubtryside-orientated OSM site) and its mobile client, OpenTrail, further but the thing that's always holding me back, and forcing me to restrict it to certain areas of the UK only, are the limitations of the server. I've been given hosting for the tiles themselves from Chris Jones at Swansea - which is absolutely great (thanks Chris!) but in an ideal world I'd really like is to run Freemap for the whole of the UK on my own dedicated space, with control of data updates, including associated server side scripts for searches, walk route generation etc.

Currently I do have hosting through Bytemark which is pretty good... but osm2pgsql (the real rate determining step) fails to import due to memory issues.

So is anyone aware of any hosting provider which costs no more than say GBP25-30 a month (am willing to pay that much, but no more as this is a not-for-profit project) and would allow me to maintain Freemap and update the database weekly without encountering memory issues? Rendering is not such a problem (IMX) as caching can be done - it's the actual database import that's the problem.

Thanks,
Nick