[Talk-GB] Drinking Map of UK

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Sun Oct 30 22:45:16 GMT 2011

Borbus wrote:

> This wiki page suggests craft=brewery
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:craft%3Dbrewery
>
> I recently added the Woodfordes brewery to the map:
> http://osm.org/go/0EZUeZm8y--
>
> Just added St Peter's too: http://osm.org/go/0EZAcgPVK--
>
> The good thing is a lot of these breweries have shops and pubs on
> site
> so there is no excuse for not going out and finding them!

I was looking at some breweries back in July and made a few notes
here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:EdLoach/Brewery
I didn't discover the craft=brewery page, so presume I was looking
at what was used. The September 2010 adoption of craft=brewery is
perhaps quite recent which reflects the low usage figures shown on
the wiki page.

With reference to Brian's suggestion about a relation relating
breweries to the pubs where their beer is available, firstly I felt
that was too close to using a relation as a category:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categ
ories
but even if we were to create such relations I don't think they'd be
workable as beers appearing at pubs at guest ales would need adding
and removing far too frequently. Perhaps better to add a tie=yes/no,
tied=<whoever> combination of tags if known. Or operator=<whatever>
for pub chains and the like.

But generally I'm in favour; for pubs that brew beer on premises I
presume we'd use the brewery=* tag:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:brewery

Ed