[Talk-GB] hgv=unsuitable?

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Fri Sep 9 09:13:07 BST 2011

Colin asked:

> Is there any accepted tagging standard for the ubiquitous
> "Unsuitable
> for HGVs" (white text on blue background)? So it's not illegal for
> HGVs,
> just ill-advised. So it's a bit like "hgv=destination" in that you
don't
> want to be there unless there's no reasonable alternative, but it
is
> signed differently and probably not legally enforcable. I thought
> simply
> using "hgv=unsuitable" would fit nicely for this. Similarly
> "psv=unsuitable" if there is a sign "Unsuitable for
buses/coaches",
> or
> even "motor_vehicle=unsuitable" for "Unsuitable for motor
> vehicles". Any
> thoughts?

My first post to the newbies email list in 2008 asked about the
"Unsuitable for motor vehicles" sign I had encountered and how to
tag it. I got no response. It seems that about 8 months later I
decided just to add motor_vehicle=unsuitable to the way in
question...
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/26551700/history

Banoffee asked a similar question on the help website recently, and
they decided just to use note=
http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/6287/unsuitable-for-vehicles
-text-sign
which is what I suggested when I started this wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_the_United_Kingdom
two days before I added the motor_vehicle=unsuitable tag mentioned
above.

> How about "width limit 6'6" except for access"? Applications like
> truck
> routing will need to distinguish these from the straight maxwidth
> roads.
> How about "maxwidth:throughtraffic=6'6" ? Or "maxwidth=6'6" +
> "maxwidth:destination=none"?

This is a good question - I think I prefer the latter of your two
suggestions. If you have a photo of the sign it might be worth
adding to the examples section on the UK road signs wiki page, along
with whatever tags you settle on after discussion here. A Google
search ("except for access" site:openstreetmap.org) suggests that
"except for access" appears in a number of note fields and a few
description fields (plus the odd changeset comment).

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=except+for+access#values
suggests there is one occurrence of "maxweight=7.5 except for
access", but note is much more common currently.

Ed