[Talk-GB] Postcode update

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Tue Apr 10 09:20:02 BST 2012

Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:

Chris wrote:

> I've just updated the postcode layer using the latest Codepoint
> Open
> data. You can see how to use them in editors and info about the
> postcode
> finder that uses the data here: http://codepoint.raggedred.net

While I've used the layer often in the past, how does this tie up
with Michael Collinson's post in January
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2012-January/012688
.html
which says we shouldn't derive from Codepoint Open for an ODbL
database? I've already removed the postcodes I added and would love
to revert that changeset to put them back again.

Ed

IMHO there never was a problem. OS said they couldn't speak for Royal Mail, which is fair enough, but it doesn't mean there is an actual problem. Codepoint Open now features on the data.gov.uk website as something that uses the Open Government Licence, and a little web app using OSM and Codepoint Open data is shown there too.

I do not see, and never saw, a problem.

Cheers, Chris
User chillly
Blog http://chris-osm.blogspot.com