[Talk-GB] Hampshire Vandalization - No Bere Forest?

Peter Rounce peter at rounce.me.uk
Fri Apr 20 09:42:18 BST 2012

Hello gents (and ladies?),

I am new to OSM and mapping but have an interest in rights of way -
particularly unsurfaced roads.
These are generally referred to as byways, ORPAs, UCRs .
I see that the OSM data has some of these, but possibly only 10% to 20%
coverage.

There are a few things I'd like to do to improve this.
(1) Surveys - I am doing what I can but it's a slow process.
(2) Update designation='public_byway' to
designation='byway_open_to_all_traffic' or designation='restricted_byway'
as appropriate
Perhaps a FIXME tag on designation='public_byway' would be useful - any
advice on this welcome.
(3) Use council definitive statements to update the data semi-automatically
as I understand the licensing may be ok.
(4) Create more knowledge/clarity on tagging UCRs/ORPAs/unsurfaced roads.
I am trying to understand the optimum tagging from the OSM KB here, and
update/collate this.

Any help/advice would be very welcome.

Also - a meetup/mapping party/social would be good.. I'm based in
Haslemere, Surrey (bordering Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire).

Peter