[Talk-GB] Cycle routes - please document your relations!

Graham Stewart (GrahamS) graham at dalmuti.net
Sat Aug 18 14:02:29 BST 2012

Richard Fairhurst wrote

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_Kingdom_National_Cycle_Network/National_Routes
> ..
> Please use it! Before creating an NCN relation, check if one exists
> already; and after you've created one, please add the id to the table.

Couple of quick questions:

- Should ALL NCN route relations be in this table or just the larger
national ones?
(I've just added NCN141 which is a relatively small route, but is properly
signed by the red and white NCN route signs). Perhaps we should have some
text on that Wiki page to clarify what the table should contain?

- Does the 1x, 2x, 3x etc numbering system still apply? I understood that
Sustrans were in the process of reclassifying some regional routes and
adding more 3-digit routes? (See
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/route-numbering-system
)

The Sustrans numbering system has always seemed a little broken to me. NCN10
is apparently "Eastern" despite being a Coast to Coast route, and doesn't
qualify as "7x. Scotland and Northern England" despite being further north
than the NCN72. Very odd.