[Talk-GB] Cycle routes - please document your relations!

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Aug 18 14:31:35 BST 2012

Graham Stewart wrote:
>- Should ALL NCN route relations be in this table

Yes. I don't think we're at any risk of out-boggling Map Features quite yet.
;)

>- Does the 1x, 2x, 3x etc numbering system still apply?

Yes. It's just that there's now also 1xx, 2xx, 3xx etc.

> The Sustrans numbering system has always seemed a little
> broken to me. NCN10 is apparently "Eastern" despite being
> a Coast to Coast route, and doesn't qualify as "7x. Scotland
> and Northern England" despite being further north than the
> NCN72. Very odd.

AIUI that's because it was originally Regional Route 10. Re-signing it (last
year, I think) as NCN10, which hadn't been taken, was an expedient way of
getting rid of a Regional Route without causing much confusion. It's
certainly no more broken than the A-road numbering system where
"out-of-zone" roads such as the A14 etc. are now incredibly commonplace.

cheers
Richard