[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Aug 21 13:27:00 BST 2012

Philip Barnes wrote:
> Have just spotted this changeset, which has globally changed footway
> tags to sidewalk, the area covers the UK.

For info, see this forum thread:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=17526
(this was also linked from one of the other OSM lists recently)

> Any thoughts, to me sidewalk is one of those American words that should
> not find its way into English.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/12795153

Although I'd usually oppose such Americanisms, in this case "sidewalk"
is unambiguous in a way that "footway" (or "pavement") isn't, and on the
forum thread (and several years ago on a mailing list, when this was
previously discussed) I said that I wouldn't object to someone changing
a "footway=left" that I had mapped to "sidewalk=left".  Not everyone
agreed with me, though...

Cheers,
Andy