[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Aug 21 13:34:56 BST 2012

On 20 Aug 2012, at 13:30, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> Have just spotted this changeset, which has globally changed footway
> tags to sidewalk, the area covers the UK.
>
> Any thoughts, to me sidewalk is one of those American words that should
> not find its way into English.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/12795153

The use of the word sidewalk has been used as it internationally will cause the least confusion. The word footway in a way has already been used, thus reusing it may cause confusion, and has different meaning in parts of the industry.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalk

The following map shows where the sidewalk data have been added to OSM:
http://www.itoworld.com/map/126

Shaun