[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

Nick Whitelegg nick_whitelegg at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 13:52:04 BST 2012

________________________________

>They're not even equivalent things? I've mapped many things with
>highway=footway, that are most definitely not "sidewalks". They go for
>example between blocks of houses... or in the country side.

Use of "sidewalk" seems fair enough in the USA where it is part of the local dialect of English, but for it to be done here on a bulk-scale is plain silly. If OSM had a tightly-defined vocabulary and "sidewalk" was the chosen word, fair enough, but that is not the case.

>Also, mass-retagging I frown upon. Why was this even done?!

+1. Way back, a non-local mapper deleted all the "foot" and "horse" tags I'd added to my ways (this was before the days of "designation"). I'm definitely not for non-locals with limited knowledge of local access rules, and the like, interfering with the tags.

Nick