[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Aug 21 14:40:58 BST 2012

On 21/08/12 14:32, Tom Chance wrote:

> On 21 August 2012 13:29, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu
> <mailto:tom at compton.nu>> wrote:
>
>         Also, mass-retagging I frown upon. Why was this even done?!
>

>     Agreed. Frederick has already applied a block.
>

> Out of interest, which part of the mechanical edit policy did this
> contributor not comply with? As he notes in that forum thread, he
> thought he had followed it to the letter.

Well the venue looks wrong to me to start with - he used a forum for
"development" which doesn't seem like the best place.

It's the equivalent of using the dev mailing list rather than talk or
tagging.

Personally I think using the forums rather than the mailing lists is a
problem in itself, although I will grant that it doesn't violate the
documented policy.

At the end of the day I don't think the policy is tough enough though
really - it should need more than just "half a dozen people voted on the
wiki to tag something differently" before we start doing mass rewrites
of existing tags.

The fact that we allow these ridiculous wiki votes to determine tagging
"policy" is bad enough, but at least most of us can just ignore the
votes and carry on tagging in the way we always have. Once people start
using those "votes" as as excuse to engage in mass retagging we create a
whole different level of problems.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)