[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:47:17 BST 2012

On 21 August 2012 13:27, SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> Although I'd usually oppose such Americanisms, in this case "sidewalk" is
> unambiguous in a way that "footway" (or "pavement") isn't, and on the forum
> thread (and several years ago on a mailing list, when this was previously
> discussed) I said that I wouldn't object to someone changing a
> "footway=left" that I had mapped to "sidewalk=left".  Not everyone agreed
> with me, though...

I'm entirely supportive of using "sidewalk" when discussing pavements
in the context of OSM. "footway" is even more confusing to OSMers than
even "pavement" would be! For years now I've been using the term
"sidewalk", and explaining why that's the best word for it, whenever
I've discussed the topic.

However, don't let that mean that I support a poorly documented and
poorly executed bulk edit.

Cheers,
Andy