[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 21 15:23:28 BST 2012

Hi,

On 08/21/2012 03:32 PM, Tom Chance wrote:
> Out of interest, which part of the mechanical edit policy did this
> contributor not comply with? As he notes in that forum thread, he
> thought he had followed it to the letter.

I don't have an iron-clad rule here but I think it is something like:

"If lots of people complain after you made your edit because they didn't
see it coming, then you have chosen the wrong venue for your discussion."

This may sound a bit harsh at first because rather than providing lots
of checkboxes for you to tick, it requires that you have a feel for
what's going to happen and what the reaction is going to be. But then
again, that's *exactly* what this is about! If you do something that
upsets lots of people then you have done it wrong, no matter how many
policies you have followed to the letter; the very reason we need to
apply caution with automated edits is that they have the potential to
upset lots of people.

Bye
Frederik