[Talk-GB] Footway to Sidewalk?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Aug 21 16:17:50 BST 2012

Adam Hoyle wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2012, at 14:47, Andy Allan wrote:
>
>> On 21 August 2012 13:27, SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
>> <mailto:lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>> Although I'd usually oppose such Americanisms, in this case
>>> "sidewalk" is
>>> unambiguous in a way that "footway" (or "pavement") isn't, and on
>>> the forum
>>> thread (and several years ago on a mailing list, when this was
>>> previously
>>> discussed) I said that I wouldn't object to someone changing a
>>> "footway=left" that I had mapped to "sidewalk=left".  Not everyone
>>> agreed
>>> with me, though...
>>
>> I'm entirely supportive of using "sidewalk" when discussing pavements
>> in the context of OSM. "footway" is even more confusing to OSMers than
>> even "pavement" would be! For years now I've been using the term
>> "sidewalk", and explaining why that's the best word for it, whenever
>> I've discussed the topic.
>
> I agree - from the wiki
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=footway> a footway
> seems unambiguously to be what americans call a sidewalk.

The picture explictly ISN'T a sidewalk.  I'd probably map it as a paved
track with foot access only

> It's totally confused me, so in the bit of UK countryside I edit I
> have added tons of ways with highway=footway tags through woods,
> fields etc, when in fact I am pretty sure they should really be
> highway=path tags. I realised this a little while ago, so this thread
> is timely.
>
> Do please correct me if I'm still confused as I'm slowly going through
> the process of re-tagging them from footway to path.

I wouldn't put too much trust in that wiki page.  The perpetrator of
this mass change has also been wikifiddling:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Ahighway%3Dfootway&action=historysubmit&diff=788368&oldid=760463

(and +1 to what Andy Robinson just said about conveying meaning, while I
was writing this!)

Basically, just try and capture whatever relevant information you can -
access rules, designation, surface, width, whatever.

Cheers,
Andy