[Talk-GB] Find My Nearest Cash Machine

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Aug 21 20:54:51 BST 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 14:59 +0200, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Brian Prangle wrote:
>
> > Impressive! Shame about the data.  Just done a quick look around
> > Acocks Green - ATMs missing and some are up to 30m away from their
> > actual location. I would estimate about 95% accuracy. Anyone else had
> > a look?
>
> It's not great where I live either. It would help if it had the name of
> the bank as "kilburn branch" on a few of them isn't really useful.

Now I am home, I can see it does cover the whole Country, the initial
link just showed a small area of Birmingham, and had left the city
centre blank making it appear to only cover a small area.

Looking more closely, it is definitely using postcodes for location, so
not something to import into OSM.

Where the building is big enough to have its own postcode, then it is
accurate. Otherwise it is just a point half way along the street, which
in suburban areas could result in a long walk in the wrong direction.

Not sure that the search is useful either, if you are in an area where
you don't know where the cash point is, you are not likely to know the
postcode.

A good idea, and something we should survey and tag.

Phil