[Talk-GB] Should highway=byway be deprecated?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Aug 22 14:21:56 BST 2012

Dave F. wrote:

> is there an out of copyright source for the two different types of
> byway: restricted_byway & byway_open_to_all_traffic?

I'd imagine that the same applies as for other public rights of way - in
some places there may be something made available which is OK
licence-wise; in other areas not.  There was an attempt a few months ago
to try and rustle up a few more areas (on this list I believe).

> If not, as many are signed on the ground as just 'byway', I'm not sure
> highway=byway should be deprecated. How are users distinguishing what
> type they are?

There are two issues here.  One is whether "highway=byway" actually
helps describe what sort of highway it is.  I'd argue that it doesn't,
and that "highway=service/track/something else as appropriate" + some
descriptive tags would be better, along with
"designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic".

The other is whether it makes sense to map something that's labelled
"byway" as " "designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic" or
"designation=byway".  I've never yet found* something labelled "byway"
that isn't actually a BOAT, so I haven't complained when people have
come along and tried to standardise "designation=byway" to
"designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic".

Cheers,
Andy

* mostly in the East Mids - other areas may vary!
http://yosmhm.neis-one.org/?zoom=7&lat=53.37917&lon=-0.4812&layers=B0T&u=SomeoneElse