[Talk-GB] Should highway=byway be deprecated?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 15:57:03 BST 2012

Newer signs in Wiltshire do distinguish between byway and restricted byway. The former typically look like miniature road signs reading "Byway" whereas the latter have a purple border and explicitly say "restricted byway".

It varies depending on county but as I said earlier most counties round here do seem to distinguish. Unknown byways are often signed as "right of way" or "public right of way", and West Sussex signs ORPAs now as plain "Public Way" !

Nick