[Talk-GB] UK Postcodes - Potential data source

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:18:00 BST 2012

Hi All,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but to the best of my understanding we are
still struggling to find a good source of postcode data under an open
licence. From what I understand the CodePoint data set is currently seen as
not available for use in OSM.

That is where this data set available under the OGL licence may help:
http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/information/public-data/price-paid-data

It's not perfect as it does not provide lat/lon co-ordinates, but it does
include full addresses for residential properties sold within each month.
This means that it gives us a link between address (something we can
survey) and postcode (which we can't easily survey). It also states which
properties are new (i.e. new builds, new addresses). Any thoughts?

If this is a useful source I was thinking a simple database where we can
look up an address and find a postcode for adding to OSM. Going one step
further we could try to find automatic matches between OSM addresses and
this dataset and therefore generate a list of postcodes that could be
suitable for import. I guess for someone with experience this would be
quite an do-able hack?

Regards,
Rob