[Talk-GB] Hadrian's Wall

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:00:09 BST 2012

There are relations for Hadrian's Wall.
http://ra.osmsurround.org/searchRelation?name=Hadrian&relationType=&route=&ref=&network=&operator=

The wall sections should be tagged as they physically are.
barrier=wall where it is still a structure
historic=wall I think is suitable where the route goes but it's gone (may
be obvious through bumps in the ground or a line of large stones)
I know there are some sections where the path walks along the top of the
brick wall that is only a meter wide.

The relations then group the sections together so a map of the whole route
can easily be made.

Hadrians Wall -  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/933533  - The
route the wall takes/took & forts, may be gone in some places.
Hadrians Wall Path -  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/38791  -
a signed route, that may detour from the wall at times.
Hadrians Wall Cycle Path -
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/152157 - like the walking
route, but more likely to detour and include more roads.

I guess in some places the 'wall' could be mapped as an area because it is
quite wide, but I'm unsure about doing this.

Gregory
(live in Durham, work in Newcastle, only visited a small part of the wall)

On 27 August 2012 16:50, Dudley Ibbett <dudleyibbett at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> I'm trying to do a bit of mapping near Once Brewed following a walk this
> weekend.  Hadrian's Wall seems to be tagged as "historic=ruins, name=..."
> at one point and "historic=wall, name=..." at another.   The former seems
> to be trying to create an area in JOSM.
>
> Given that I am trying to add barriers.  i.e. walls, fences, gates, stiles
> etc it would seem that where Hadrian's Wall is actually a physical barrier
> it should have the tag.  i.e. "barrier=wall" and "historic=wall".  I note
> that the documentation for "historic" suggests that "historic=yes" should
> be avoided.
>
> I assume that Hadrian's Wall has been mapped as a historic "wall" whether
> it still exists as a barrier or not.  Does anyone know the source of the
> wall data  (there is no tag in the section where I am mapping) as having
> walked the path that is directly to the side of the wall some of what is
> currently mapped seems to need adjustment?  Bing appears to be reasonably
> accurate when compared to the my own and others GPS data in this area.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Dudley

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com