[Talk-GB] UK Postcodes - Potential data source

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:03:49 BST 2012

CodePoint data was made into tiles by Chilly, which can be used as a
background in JOSM when adding house buildings/address data or can be used
as a map overlay.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey_Opendata#CodePoint_Tiles

The wiki has lots of pages on postcodes, but sometimes I struggle to find
the pages again. Here is one with links to other pages
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_UK_Postcodes

On 28 August 2012 10:04, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> On 28 August 2012 00:44, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What I have in my mind is to grab each months data release from land
>> registry (thus building up a good database of address + postcode), and then
>> have some tool to visualise where we can match OSM addresses (without
>> postcode) to these land reg addresses (with postcode).
>

> I've not looked at the land registry license, but assuming this is legally
> OK I think it's very sneaky, nice spot!
>
> It would have the added advantage that such a database could encourage
> people to add addresses in the first place, perhaps by listing all the
> first part post codes (SE20, MK40, etc.) giving the percentage of entries
> where the post code is attached to the address in OSM (complete) and the
> percentage that have no corresponding addresses.
>
> Nothing like a little friendly competition to spur people on.
>
> Regards,
> Tom
>
> --
> http://tom.acrewoods.net   http://twitter.com/tom_chance