[Talk-GB] UK Postcodes - Potential data source

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Fri Aug 31 15:10:49 BST 2012

On 30 August 2012 18:35, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:

> == Matt wrote ==
>
> This does indeed seem like a very useful data source. Great find!
>
> However, I'm struggling to think of a nice way of visualising it to
> make it useful. What I've got so far in my mind is:
>  - Take an entry from the list
>  - Take its postcode
>  - Search for the postcode (I've got a curated list of postcodes as
> part of my PostCodeFinder [1])
>  - Get the location of the nearest match (hopefully, we'll find at
> least a CV4-type segment match)
>  - Search for roads within an x mile radius with a matching name
>  - Associate that entry with that road
>
> == End Message ==
>
> Hi Matt,
> I was actually thinking the other way round. That is:
>
> Pull in a list of building with addresses but no postcode in OSM (with their
> way IDs) and see if any match up with the Land Registry addresses. This way
> we can add postcode to buildings rather than just to the roads.
>

> Not sure if this is any easier/harder to do.

It's probably easier for me to do. However, we run the risk or
ambiguity where the Land Registry data says "10 Main Street" and we
find 10 of those in the OSM data. Maybe this wont be a problem and
even if we do find ambiguity, we can simply list all the possible
matches.

I'll see what I can come up with.

--
Matt Williams