[Talk-GB] NaPTAN Bus Stops

Donald Noble drnoble at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:38:20 GMT 2012

Hi,

I was considering trying to get all the NaPTAN bus stops around Glasgow
into OSM as an armchair mapping task for the holidays if the weather is too
bad to get out and do much surveying.

I tried downloading the XML file from data.gov.uk, but when I opened[1] it
the 500MB file was all on the second line, apart from the XML version tag
on the first line. This meant I struggled to even look at the file to see
if I could do anything useful with it.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone has (or is able to produce) an extract
for the area around Glasgow (or even for Scotland) preferably already in
osm format that I could use.

I was planning to manually upload the bus stops in chunks, merging with
existing where available (a substantial number, but by no means all), and
aligning with existing features/imagery. I should be able to get out and
ground truth anything that looks dodgy at some point too.

Any pointers much appreciated.

regards, Donald

[1] Using TextWrangler 4.0.2 on Mac OS 10.8.2
--
Donald Noble
http://drnoble.co.uk - http://flickr.com/photos/drnoble