[Talk-GB] The Monsal Trail in Derbyshire

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Dec 16 01:07:12 GMT 2012

On 15/12/2012 18:44, SomeoneElse wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I spent a very cold day walking up and down part
> of the Monsal Trail - essentially from Little Longstone to the A6.
>
> It has been remapped since the tunnels reopened, but is in places a
> bit of a hodge-podge, so I propose to standardise it a bit as follows:
>
> o Instead of the mixture of highway=cycleway, highway=path and
> highway=track that exists currently, replace with highway=track
> throughout (it's all wide enough for the trail maintenance folks' Land
> Rovers), but with appropriate access tags (which is I think* foot and
> bicycle=yes or permissive, and probably horse=yes or permissive,
> vehicle=no) and also surface and lit tags.

I don't know this route; do motorised vehicles have access to all of it?
If not I don't think highway=track should be used throughout. According
to the wiki it is accessible to all vehicles.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Track.

> o Where the name tag incorporates both a tunnel name and a trail name
> (like with way http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/116465140) move
> the tunnel name to some other tag.  Although I'm normally sqeamish
> about having paths labelled after the most well-known trail that uses
> them, in the case of the Monsal Trail I'm tempted to leave the
> "name=Monsal Trail" labelling, because that's what the locals would
> refer to it as.

Route relations were invented to specifically solve this problem. The
Monsal Trail is a route that uses these ways. Other named routes could
also use them, now or in the future. Putting the route in a relation
avoids naming clashes. See the numerous NCN routes as examples.

> o Some of the ways that formed the old Monsal Trail before the tunnels
> reopened are still present in OSM (and in some cases far from obvious
> on the ground).  Where these are tagged as bicycle-appropriate but
> clearly aren't I'll remove that tagging;

Again, I don't know the specifics, but just because the route has be
moved does that mean you can't cycle on the old ways?

Cheers
Dave F.