[Talk-GB] The Monsal Trail in Derbyshire

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Dec 17 14:22:04 GMT 2012

Someoneelse wrote:
> o Instead of the mixture of highway=cycleway, highway=path
> and highway=track that exists currently, replace with
> highway=track throughout (it's all wide enough for the trail
> maintenance folks' Land Rovers)

To my mind, the "duck tagging" principle means that highway=cycleway is more
appropriate. It quacks like a shared-use cycleway so we should tag it as
one, unlike a track that is (say) regularly used by forestry traffic or
agricultural vehicles. There are lots of 'rail trails' around Britain that
are tagged as highway=cycleway and it would seem a shame to depart from
established practice.

cheers
Richard