[Talk-GB] Guidance for adding PRoW to OSM

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Dec 31 13:50:40 GMT 2012

Dudley Ibbett wrote:
> Please be careful with the ™doesn't actually exist™ as the owner may
> not have maintained the access point in the hope that people will stop
> using the path. I've seen this on a number of occasions.

If there's something visible on the ground then I'd definitely map it,
even if it's only a path from a road to a vandalised finger post:

If there's really no sign of a path, and no means of access due to e.g.
a hedge that someone has deliberately planted to prevent access then
there's not a "highway=footway" to add to OSM (although there may be a
"designation=public_footpath, source:designation=some local council list").

> I would investigate further and raise it with the PRoWO.  I believe
> there is a deadline coming up for identifying all PRoWs, so it is
> worth checking.

As I read it, that date is 1st Jan 2026:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/section/53#text%3D2026

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/section/56#text%3D2026

but that's for identifying footpaths and bridleways currently NOT
currently on the definitive map.  I'm not aware that things that already
are on there (even if illegally blocked on the ground) could magically
lose their status just because they're still blocked on the ground in 2026.

Cheers,
Andy