[Talk-GB] Byway between Muston and Belvoir (was "Guidance for adding PRoW to OSM")

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Dec 31 14:15:33 GMT 2012

Steven Horner wrote:
>  A more interesting example of the differences between on the ground
> and recorded PRoW exists here (just NE of your link):
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.91864&lon=-0.77876&zoom=17&layers=M

For information I've made the GPS trace public:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/traces/1360385

It's got waypoints in it - look for those labelled "sym=Boat Ramp" for
PROW identifiers.

> The actual recorded PRoW  (byway) as shown by OS cuts the corner
> slightly, but is shown as not being visible on the ground (the PRoW
> Byway route is not recoreded on OSM). The green lines on Explorer maps
> only show that a PRoW exists, it is only visible on the ground if it
> has black dashed lines under it.

The relevant PROW identifiers are adjacent to these OSM nodes:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/480255185
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/480255309

The one at node 480255185 just makes it clear that the byway doesn't
turn northwest.  The one at node 480255309 indicates south and vaguely
northeast, but not so far different from the track around the edge of
the field to be sure that the "official" right of way was definitely
cutting the corner (unlike the other one by the canal bridge).

At the time I was there the only transport options you could have used
to cut the corner with would have been hovercraft or bog-snorkelling -
even the main track was 6-inches deep in mud in most places.

If we were able to incorporate PROW data from the council then in this
case it would make sense to mode the
"designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic" to the direct corner-cutting
route, since the sign at node 480255309 is ambiguous, but it wouldn't
make sense to mark it as a highway.

Cheers,
Andy