[Talk-GB] Speed Limits (using Intelligent Speed Adaptation data)

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 13:57:28 GMT 2012

Hi All,

A big improvement that can be made to OSM for those people that use the map
data in GPS navigation devices is the inclusion of Speed Limit information.
I've just done a bit of research and have come across the following:

[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/11227.html
[2] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/7893.aspx

Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) seems to be a system for providing speed
limit information direct to the driver (see for example wikipedia), but to
use the system you first have to give it a database of speed limits. It
would appear to me that tfl have this data for London and are releasing it
"free of charge". The question is does this mean Public Domain and if so is
there any way of getting this data added to OSM (auto-import, or an overlay
for JOSM/Potlatch mappers to refer to)?

Thanks,
RobJN