[Talk-GB] JOSM presets for rights of way in England and Wales

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Sat Feb 4 19:56:01 GMT 2012

On 27/01/12 20:30, Andrew Chadwick wrote:
> Beta presets for path-like rights of way in England and Wales are now
> available in JOSM. They have pretty icons and everything! You can get
> them at
>
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Presets/EnglandWalesRightsOfWay
>
> or via Edit ->  Preferences ->  Map Settings ->  Tagging Presets. They're
> listed as "Rights of way in England and Wales". It would be great if you
> could test them out!
>
> This is a hybrid approach to the vexed issues surrounding highway=path.
> The description states that it tries to "[use] the good bits out of the
> global tagging style while retaining our ancient folkways and customs".
> Details and rationale can be found in the presets bundle itself and on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines#JOSM_presets_now_available
>

> Comments on these presets and how they might be improved are welcome!

I may have not been reading this list thoroughly but I did not realise
that highway=path is a "vexed issue". I have been tagging rural
footpaths this way for some time, while I have used highway=footway for
more urban footways. I see from the table in the wiki which you link to
above (labelled Presets 0.7 (2012-01-29)) that none of these
recommendations include a highway=path tag. Should I therefore re-tag my
paths according to your table?