[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Andrew Chadwick a.t.chadwick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:26:50 GMT 2012

Re https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines

Rob Nickerson mentioned that the access table currently languishing on
the talk page which got generated as a side effect of the preset file
project should be integrated into the main page. I think we need to go a
bit further and give the page a rewrite, since it's outdated and rather
unclear and variable in the advice it currently gives. I'm prepared to
give it a go; anyone want to help out? Rough plan at

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines#Resolving_the_.22Classic_vs._Global_tagging_style.22_mess

I think we should drop recommendations of highway=path + access tags
completely, because nobody really seems to be using that scheme. Go with
the hybrid approach building on existing understated tagging as
outlined in the link above, but state that a) designation=* is needed to
be meaningful about rights of way, b) access tags can optionally be
added and actually do make the map data more globally useful.

Who's with me? Any against? I'd *love* to know up front if anyone has
any evidence of big areas of "highway=path + access tags" used as a
representation of actual signposted RoWs anywhere in England or Wales.

--
Andrew Chadwick