[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 16:39:55 GMT 2012

On 17 February 2012 15:43, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>wrote:

> From my understanding, a minimum of ONE to TWO tags are needed:
>
> a) a highway tag. This represents the physical properties of the way, e.g.
> service, track, path (or footway - see below)
> b) if applicable, a designation tag. This represents the RoW status.
>
> I agree - I will normally tag a public footpath as highway = path | track,
designation = public_footpath.  I may include a surface=gravel | paved if
it is not a mud path.
I too only use highway=footway for urban footpaths, but you see plenty of
them in the country and I don't usually bother changing them.
I think there is an issue of rendering on the main mapnik stylesheet - If I
remember correctly highway=path renders differently to highway=footway.   I
was going to look for a nice example of a mixture in the North Yorkshire
Moors or Weardale, but it looks like someone has changed them to
highway=path, so can't find any just now!

Graham.
--
Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.