[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Andrew Chadwick a.t.chadwick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 19:18:48 GMT 2012

On 17/02/12 15:16, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 17/02/2012 14:26, Andrew Chadwick wrote:
>> Re https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines
>>
>> Who's with me? Any against? I'd *love* to know up front if anyone has
>> any evidence of big areas of "highway=path + access tags" used as a
>> representation of actual signposted RoWs anywhere in England or Wales.
>
> As this advice is specifically for rights of way in England and Wales,
> it seems it would be better on a page specifically for that.
> Instead of trying to stick everything together on a generic/confusing UK
> page.

Most of the text discusses E&W rights of way. That's a huge shortcoming.

The road (and cycle track?) advice is presumably the same for NI,
Scotland, England and Wales. Probably a good idea to split out stuff
that varies across the four countries. The starting point for finding
out what that might be looks to be
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_and_excepted_matters

  $ for c in scotland ni wales; do diff --brief england $c; done

Scotland:
Road and rail (and air and sea) transport is a reserved matter, and thus
not devolved to the Scottish parliament. It should be documented on the
central UK page in the same place as the other jurisdictions'.
Nonvehicular access to land and inland water has evidently been devolved
and has separate legislation which affects how some stuff might be
mapped in the form of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, so it needs
its own page, or at least a short summary. Scotland has a distinct
concept of rights of way[1], but it's more of a historical thing.
Consider importing, or linking to current OSM advice re. multilingual
place names[2].

Northern Ireland:
Road and rail transport don't seem to be reserved or excepted
matters[3]. Has the NI assembly enacted anything which might affect how
highways should be tagged? As for PRoWs in NI, there seem to be 3 kinds:
footpaths, bridleways and carriageways[4][5][6], defined separately from
their E&W equivalents. I'm unclear as to whether you can cycle on all of
them, or only ones created in a certain way :(

Wales:
Suspect Wales is identical to England as far as OSM is concerned, save a
quick note on bilingual signage, and thus can use the same set of
presets for paths and the same advice for road tagging. Have there been
any National Assembly measures[7] affecting how one might map in Wales
as distinct from England? I'm assuming not for now.

England:
Crazy patchwork access rules tend to end up as lots of wittering on
about rights of way. Best shove this on a subpage with a brief summary
of the depth of the crazy on the main page. That way stuff stays clean
and non-intimidating for new users.

Right now it looks like the major differences are language and precise
definitions of minor highways: tracks and paths. However more major
highways definitions and building standards are shared, and use almost
the same sorts of notations. Worth having that on a central "common
stuff" page, I guess.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_of_way_in_Scotland
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_language#Signage
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_for_Transport#Devolution