[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:49:17 GMT 2012

I think I have worked out how to do the query using national park
relations, and get the following results for a small sample:

National Park                 | Footway (no des) | Footway (des) | path (no
des) | path (des) |
New Forest (way ID 129493402) |   153            |   213         |    98
      |  493       |
North York Moors (rel 409150) |   294            |   440         |   100
      |  103       |
Lake District (rel 287917)    |   952            |  1572         |   245
      |  187       |

So, I think you are right that highway=footway is more used, even in rural
areas (except for the New Forest in the sample above).
A more interesting comparison may be which are being created though,
because highway=footway may be legacy stuff - I certainly used to use it,
but stopped after a while and switched to highway=path.

Hope that helps.

Graham.

--
Graham Jones