[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sat Feb 18 08:11:39 GMT 2012

I think both have their advantages - I like the idea of a good signposted rights of way network, but I intensely dislike the Anglo-American attitude towards private property compared to say Scotland or Germany (naming two countries I've walked in where they seem to be more easy-going)

On the one hand down here in the 'southern' UK we do have guaranteed rights of way (when the council haven't been deprived of funds to look after them by central government of course) which is good, we can use stiles, gates etc rather than trek across barbed wire and so on.

On the other hand, it really does p*ss me off when you see a track or clear path, which would make a nice walk, in England and it says "KEEP OUT" seemingly just for the hell of it. A mixture of E+W rights of way plus a Scottish right to walk anywhere where you're not disturbing crops, farm animals, or walking through people's gardens would be good.

Nick