[Talk-GB] "United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines" on the OSM wiki: due for an update?

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:58:17 GMT 2012

Hi All,

I hadn't thought about public footpaths along a road. It nicely
demonstrates that for RoWs the highway tag really doesn't matter as it is
the designation that gives the relevant information.

In that case I would tend to agree with Andrew's methodology (which also
makes things easier for routing software):
  1. If it is clearly a route for walking on (e.g. paved or signposted)
then use highway=footway.
  2. If it looks like people use it as a route to walk/cycle(?) (e.g. well
trodden ground) but no sign or paving then highway=path.

I would also be happy to review any proposed edits to the wiki page if the
link is posted here. I don't know of the technical ins and outs of the
relevant laws but could give you good "new user" feedback.

Cheers,
Rob

Hi
You are dead right - I was talking about paths as in narrow strips of
ground for walking on.

I would tag a public footpath as highway=<whatever is appropriate:
unclassified|residential|service|track|path>, designation=public_footpath.

Graham.

On 18 February 2012 10:48, Derick Rethans <osm at derickrethans.nl

--
Graham Jones