[Talk-GB] License change & anonymous edits

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 4 12:29:49 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 01/04/12 12:52, Tom Chance wrote:
> The only mention I can find of this on the wiki dismisses the issue and
> inaccurately suggests these objects do in fact have a user associated
> with them, so it's not a problem:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Closed_Issues#Anonymous_contributions

This is not "inaccurate", it is spot on.

> Should genuinely anonymous edits not be considered a-ok to switch over,

There are no "genuinely anonymous" edits. Our database has the user id
and email address for everyone who made such an edit. They have received
the license change emails (if their address is still valid), and they
can log in and agree to the license change if they want.

If they do, their decision will be recorded by listing all their
changesets in

http://planet.openstreetmap.org/users_agreed/anon_changesets_agreed.txt

and tools like Ian's deep diff viewer and my OSM Inspector and the
editor plugins can then properly mark these contributions as clean.

They are just as protected by IP rights than anything else, so if you
want to force that tube station to be relicensed then you'd have to do
that with those contributed by non-anonymous people as well.

Bye
Frederik