[Talk-GB] License change & anonymous edits

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 10 12:43:13 GMT 2012

On 10 January 2012 12:07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> On 10/01/2012 11:44, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> Is there no way in this case to formally 'claim' the IPR for this
>> features on the basis that we have moved them and edited all the
>> surrounding features?
>>

> Exactly the question I raised on talk on Monday. I don't think you even
> need to have moved anything, merely to have checked against a valid source
> other than the non-accepting contributor (e.g. Bing for location, local
> knowledge or OSSV etc for names) in order to claim the IPR. I really don't
> see what mechanically then reproducing what is already there actually adds
> to the process other than wasted time.

Thank you. This is a matter of judgement by the Licensing Working Group and
they should come back with a clear view on it.

Can I suggest that we invent a new tag which 'claims' the IPR for the
affected way. 'ODBL_clear=PeterIto' for example. The existence of this tag
would remove it from the problem list. Any challenge over ownership would
then be between the original contributor and the person who added the tag.

Personally I am not intending to spend time on this matter until we can get
a sensible decision for these outlying cases.

Regards,

Peter