[Talk-GB] Fwd: HS2 route

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 10 19:15:36 GMT 2012

On 10 January 2012 18:39, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> On 10/01/12 18:19, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> Regarding OS copyright, the OS do not claim derived copyright any more
>> for 3rd party content that is displayed on an OS map just so long as they
>> do not present that sort of feature on their mapping. As such any copyright
>> infringement would be with the government, not the OS in my view.
>>
>>  I'm not sure that is true. OS have confirmed that they do not claim
> derived copyright from their Public Sector Mapping Agreement (PSMA) users
> (such as local authorities), but they have refused to confirm that that
> applies to anyone else. Ed Parsons pressed OS, as have I, with no firm
> response AFAIK.

I have a strong recollection of a page on the OS website some year or so
back after some of the recent changes which basically said that if you
geo-locate something that is not on an OS using an OS map the resulting
geo-information is yours. I can't find that now though and, as you say,
there is lots of stuff that says that it still isn't that simple.

I have also had a response from the Forestry Commission about this matter.
> They seem to imply an even tighter interpretation that only PSMA users are
> free from copyright issues with other PSMA derivative works.

The forestry commission is needless to say interested in information that
'is' on an OS map, ie the outline of forests and therefore the above does
not  apply.

None of this affects the OS OpenData of course.

Agreed.

Regards,

Peter