[Talk-GB] railway:historic = rail tags

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Jul 2 18:48:38 BST 2012

On 2 July 2012 16:19, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Peter Miller wrote:
>  > I started using railway:historic=xxx in place of railway=dismantled
> > for cycletracks etc in response to a comment through OSM
> > messaging that one editor had found it confusing to suddenly
> > have cyclepaths being rendered as railways in Potlatch due the
> > railway=xxx tag (although that is not a good reason to make
> > the change in itself.)
>
> Indeed not. That's a 30-second change to P2 to change the rendering order.
> Put a trac ticket in and someone will change the stylesheet!

Good. It is now on trac. Thanks Shaun.

> > As for the best venue to discuss tagging, I signed off the main talk a
> > long time ago as it took far too much time to keep up with.
> > I now use the wiki as my main place for global tagging discussions.
>
> There is a tagging@ list now, of course.

However... that email list is very busy and currently full of discussions
about mapping 'larger mini-roundabouts' and eclectic other topics. I am
glad people are using it, but the wiki is also a productive place to
discuss tagging and is a lot more focused. For railways the 'talk:Railways'
page is pretty good. Personally I won't be signing up the talk-tagging but
will keep an eye on it from time to time.

Re Potlatch: thanks for sorting out the rendering Richard!

Regards,

Peter