[Talk-GB] Response from Hampshire County Council

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:03:01 BST 2012

Hi Nick,
It's not clear where the e-mail ends and your commenting starts.

If the paragraph "So in short, we believe the RoW data can..." is there's,
then I'd support using it in OpenStreetMap. I believe it's commonly
accepted that acknowledgement/copyright/attribution made in the relevant
wiki page (imports catalogue?) and in a source tag for the changeset, is
acceptable.

On 11 June 2012 13:28, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Re: the Hampshire ROW data - this is the response I got from the person I
> am in contact with.
>
> "In answer to the queries below, the data is free to use as is the OS
> open data on their website.
>
> The data was originally captured against the 10k raster data, meaning it
> carried OS IPR.  However, OS introduced an exemption process that
> allowed creators of data with IPR (Derived Data) to apply for an
> exemption.
>
> Cambridgeshire were the first to successfully do this, we then used
> their process/application to apply to have Hampshire's exempt, which was
> granted.  Following this we can now release the data using the OS open
> data licence, as the exemption basiclaly means that it can be used in
> the same manner as the data that OS have published themselves as open.
>
> The query as to our data being on the OS site I think refers to the line
> in the licence where OS are actually saying their Open Data is on the
> site, not all data that gets published under the licence, for example
> our RoW data.
>
> So in short, we believe the RoW data can be incorporated into
> OpenStreetmap as long as acknowledgement and copyright is shown from
> where it came and how can be used"
>
> So in summary it appears that the OS gave HCC specific permission to use
> this, and I'm guessing it's OK to use in OSM, but I am not in any sense of
> the word a legal expert so, what are people's opinions on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com