[Talk-GB] How to work with Government Open Data (e.g. Boundaries, Rights of Way)

rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:28:51 BST 2012

Hi Nick,

I agree that we don't want to take Hants data at face value and load this
into OSM where a path is already mapped. I have added my answers below:

Q1. Hampshire marked footpath and OSM footpath run very close to each other
(deviating by only a few meters max). No obvious marking on Bing Aerial
Q2. As with Q1, but Bing Aerial shows clear path (neither OSM or Hampshire
line up with this path perfectly).

A1. Use OSM path and tag with designation
A2. As A1 (optionally align path to Bing, GPS survey would help here).

- - -
Q3. OSM path crosses diagonally over a field (roughly following the path
visible on Bing). Hampshire's data indicates a kink in the route so that in
the middle of the field the gap reaches about 20-30 meters.
Q4. OSM path crosses over 2 fields (following Bing path and cutting through
a gap in hedgerow). Path is a straight line at an angle 'x' from the road.
Hampshire's data shows the path runs straight, but at angle 'y'. Max
deviation 50m. What about a smaller deviation of only 15m?
Q5. As 4 above but the Hampshire path appears to cross the hedgerow where
there is no visible gap on Bings imagery.

A3-5. Research using other sources (ground survey, NLS scanned OS maps,
etc). If no path found where Hants suggests there should be one, tag the
OSM path instead (add a note). If there is a path where Hants puts it, then
this should be mapped -> This could result in 2 paths being mapped, but
would be correct if there are 2 paths on the ground.

- - -
Q6. Hampshire have a path marked that is not in OSM. Bing shows there is
something there.
Q7. As 6 but no marking on Bing. No obvious obstructions
Q8. As 7 but there is an potential obstruction (eg woodland with no clear
path - although this would be hard to see on Bing)
Q9. As 8 but there is an obvious obstruction (eg building).

A6-9. Trace the path from bing for Q6 (add a fixme tag). Q7-9 really could
do with a ground survey.

- - -
To test these rules I had a go at mapping BOAT "Martin. 15". Neither OSM or
Hants data lined up well with the Bing aerial (even with a simple offset).
In this example there is a clear modern track. Two sections of the modern
track appear to deviate from the historic route (I looked on the NLS maps
to get a better idea of the historic route and cross referenced this with
Bing aerial). The right hand section is still clearly visible on Bing,
suggesting it is still used. The left hand section follows what looks to be
a tree lined route. This suggests that I have identified the
correct 'historic' route, but the trees make it hard to tell if the route
is still passable.

I mapped the whole of the 'modern' track as highway=track. The 2 other
sections, I mapped as highway=path and added a fixme comment to suggest
resurvey. I then added the designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic tag to the
route that follows the 'historic' path. I was reasonable happy doing this
because if the left hand section route is impassable there is a clear
alternative. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Visualisation of edit history:
http://osmhv.openstreetmap.de/changeset.jsp?id=11915562#lon=-1.93345046;lat=50.9691551;zoom=15;layer=Mpnk

- - -
Do you think it is worth adding a wiki page (eg "Missing Rights of
Way/Hampshire CC") where we can keep track of any 'big' issues with the
intention to pass this data back to Hants? This could include a list of
Ways in OSM that we feel may be a Missing RoW and a list of OSM ways that
deviate substantially from the route Hants have in their database.

Kind Regards,
RobJN

ps I'm not going to do many of the RoWs in Hampshire as I can't get down
there to survey them. However, I am keen that we get a good 'best practice'
in place so that we can use this to help persuade other councils to release
their data (eg Work with us to improve your data), and to prevent differing
approaches across the country.