[Talk-GB] Stations and platforms=*

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 11:15:44 BST 2012

tl;dr: Please tag your local station(s) with platforms=n where n<>2

I had a conversation with Andy Allan, ooh, ages ago (it was probably at
WhereCampGB in Notts) about his lovely transport layer
(http://osm.org/go/euup98?layers=T) and mentioned it would be great to
see station names at lower zooms than it currently renders.

While not disagreeing, Andy pointed out that this was currently very
difficult to get right, because station density varies so greatly across
the country. In London, they're barely a mile apart, whereas in the
sticks you get one every 50 miles. There was no obvious way of ensuring
that the "right" stations get rendered in high-density areas while
showing all stations in rural areas.

At some point post-conversation that one way of filtering the stations
would be based on the number of platforms, since this roughly
corresponds to "importance" (yuck) in London, at least. It's not
perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Andy hasn't *promised* to do anything with this information, but put it
this way: If it's there, he might. If it's not, he can't.

I've already added platforms=* to the preset for a station in Potlatch
2, so it's not even that tricky. Go on. Please.

J.