[Talk-GB] Remapping update

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:14:36 GMT 2012

On 23 March 2012 12:58, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> Incidentally, is just "knowing the footpaths" evidence enough to tag with
> "odbl=clean"? Or is there the risk that the footpath was created with "iffy"
> sources?

"Use odbl=clean to clear features which contain historic contributions
from people who have not agreed to the new contributor terms [...]
*and where those contributions have since been superceded or "washed
out" by subsequent changes*"

Emphasis mine.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:odbl%3Dclean

So if there's a path, and it's not clean, you can't just "clean it" by
adding the tag - that's not what the tag is for. It means that
absolutely no trace of the original IP remains in the current version,
and you've checked there's no residual IP. An example would be a node
tagged "amenity = pub", that happens to have been moved, the tag
removed, and incorporated into the middle of a road junction.

Of course, I've been advising people from the beginning to avoid the
tag in the first place. Since so many people are misunderstanding it,
and accidentally misusing it, it has become meaningless. Therefore I
don't see how it can be relied upon during the license change, and if
it can't be used with confidence, there's even less point in tagging
anything with it.

> I ask as I am intending to do some remapping of Andy Street's paths in the
> Bishops Waltham/Meon Valley area and wondering whether I have to actually
> walk the paths again or just tag with "odbl=clean"

You don't have to walk the path if you can map it using other
techniques, such as GPS traces, Bing, OOC maps etc. Especially if you
know the path well enough to know how it goes (e.g. it's straight
through a particular patch of woods) then just remap it remotely.

Cheers,
Andy