[Talk-GB] Remapping update

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Mar 26 14:26:02 BST 2012

On 23/03/2012 13:58, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Incidentally, is just "knowing the footpaths" evidence enough to tag
> with "odbl=clean"? Or is there the risk that the footpath was created
> with "iffy" sources?
>
> I ask as I am intending to do some remapping of Andy Street's paths in
> the Bishops Waltham/Meon Valley area and wondering whether I have to
> actually walk the paths again or just tag with "odbl=clean"
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

The test I apply here is, "Can I independently verify from personal
knowledge ALL the tagging and location info" before using odbl=clean.
For footpaths, that may mean removing designation tags if you can't
remember whether it is footpath or a bridle way. Look out also for any
un-relicensable mapping notes. I also remove all tainted nodes, if
necessary replacing them with new ones aligned to Bing imagery. The most
difficult is paths going through woods or forest. You may well have to
end up just putting node at either side and hoping that the unnatural
straight line is enough to attract the attention of the next mapper
walking in the area.

Mike