[Talk-GB] People wanting to remove the route of the HS2 from openstreetmap

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 17:20:35 BST 2012

Andy Allan wrote:
>> I'm trying to explain it all to the group members, it might help if the
>> >  route were named 'Proposed HS2 route' or similar.
> Well, it would help if the standard layer only showed names for thing
> that it was otherwise drawing. But in general, I would expect to find
> anti-HS2 protesters willing to delete it no matter what it's called.
>
> If anyone wants to investigate the changesets so far, then these two
> users are involved, perhaps others too:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/GMetcalfe
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/HAHS2
>
> Part of the Chiltern Mainline has been deleted, just south of West
> Ruislip, in the crossfire.

I can see an editor war erupting, but personally I'd prefer to see WHERE the
planned route is currently running ON OSM than having to try and match up with
third party maps. Yes it SHOULD be marked as proposed, and if we had the
fasility - mapped on a selectable layer - but I think that just like any
historic material, it does have a place ... I could even make a case for being
able to show previous versions of the route. But can someone revert these
changesets and this will also restore the collateral damage. We do now have the
block mechanism, and I feel this is an ideal candidate for that action?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL