[Talk-GB] Have you contacted a UK local authority in regards to Rights of Way?

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Thu May 3 09:42:27 BST 2012

Andy wrote:

> I contacted Hampshire County Council last week but haven't had a

> response yet.

I haven't made a formal approach to Essex CC, but have been trying
to build up a good relationship with their PROW team by reporting
blocked paths, broken stiles, fallen direction posts and the like
when I encounter such issues while out surveying. Occasionally I ask
about the definitive statement being available. As at late 2010 they
didn't have it in electronic format but said I could go and read a
copy at a local council office (whose open-to-the-public hours are
shorter than my working hours, so that isn't really possible without
me booking leave).

Earlier this year, or possibly late last year, the person
responsible for footpaths in this district forwarded that part of my
email to another team member but I didn't hear back.

The relevant section of their website is sort of around here:

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Travel-Highways/Public-Rights-Way/Definitive
-Map/Pages/Definitive-Map.aspx

I have another fallen direction post to report (I spotted it on its
side on top of a pile of hay bales when I looked up at a point in my
walk last month where I was expecting the path to split), so might
ask again.

Ed